Whether you eat a lot or a little, prefer sit-down meals or like to grab and go, meal plan options offer flexibility and great-tasting food for every need and every palate.
Meal plans aren’t just for students living in the residence halls. Our award-winning dining commons, plant-forward restaurants, and gourmet coffee spots appeal to faculty, staff, graduates, and undergraduates living off campus as well. All of our dining commons, restaurants, food stands, and cafes have daily vegetarian and vegan selections, as well as gluten-free options. All dining commons have kosher and halal options available upon request. Our registered dietitian and culinary team also work closely with students who have special dietary needs.
Great Food and Variety — at a Discount
Meal plans enable you to eat at all Cal Dining locations using your Cal 1 Card. On-campus restaurants, cafes, and athletic concession stands include options for upscale local food, made-to-order wraps and sandwiches, grab-and-go meals and snacks, smoothies, sushi, vegan food, gourmet coffee, and much, much more. Award-winning dining commons have a range of healthy and delicious food options and are all-you-care-to-eat. With every meal plan, you can purchase add-on flex dollars anytime throughout the year starting in August 2018. Buy $50 flex dollars for $47.50, a 5% discount; or $100 flex dollars for $90, a 10% discount.
How to Choose a Meal Plan
To offer flexibility for all needs, meal plans include meal swipes and flex dollars, both of which are accessible by paying with your Cal 1 Card at a Cal Dining location. Cal Dining offers meal plans tailored to your needs based on whether you live on or off campus, are a student or a faculty or staff member.
To decide on a meal plan, first read How It Works, and then visit Meal Plan page appropriate for you:
- Undergraduates living on campus (students living in the residence halls) use the Blue Meal Plan included in housing contract, or upgrade to the Gold Meal Plan.
- Undergraduates living off campus, including students living in university-owned apartments, may purchase the Bear Meal Plan or Cub Meal Plan.
- Graduates (graduate students and Berkeley Extension International Concurrent Enrollment students) may purchase the Bear Meal Plan or Cub Meal Plan.
- Faculty and staff may purchase the Faculty and Staff Meal Plan.
- Summer plans are available for purchase by students attending summer sessions or registered for fall classes.
With so many locations and dining options to choose from, our meal plans make it easy for everyone. Let us do the cooking and cleaning for you.
When no year is noted in the dates listed below, the months fall within the academic year. Meal plans and add-on flex dollars may be purchased anytime throughout the year starting in August 2018, with the exception of meal plans for students who have already signed housing contracts. There are no cancellation deadlines.
For students, meal plans—meal swipes and flex dollars—expire at the end of the academic year. This applies to the Blue Residential and Gold Residential plans, as well as the Bear plan and Cub plan.
- Meal plans start date for fall semester 2018: August 15, 2018 at brunch.
- Meal plans start date for spring semester 2019: January 15, 2019 at dinner.
- Last day to use all student meal plans (meals swipes and flex dollars): May 19, 2019 at 10 a.m., the end of the academic year.
For undergraduates who live on campus with signed a housing contract, you may upgrade from a Blue Meal Plan to a Gold Meal Plan anytime during the year.
For undergraduates and graduates who live off campus, the Cub Meal Plan and Bear Meal Plan are available for purchase anytime during the academic year starting August 1, 2018. Purchase additional Cub or Bear plans anytime during the academic year.