How It Works
Meal Plans offer discounts, flexibility, and are easy to manage online.
Numerous dining options: You can eat or purchase food at all the dining commons and numerous on- and off-campus restaurants, cafes, convenience stores, and athletic concession stands.
Points are easy to use: You get points, and each point has a purchasing power of $1.
Automatic discounts: You get an automatic discount on every meal you eat in the dining commons, saving you $4 per meal. When you add points, you get an automatic 10% discount that can be used at any location.
Flexible and easy to adjust: The number of points varies by the meal plan you purchase, and you can add points at any time.
Guests welcome: You can use your points for guests, who also get your discount.
To-Go options: You can dine in or take your food to go.
- You get a set number of points based on the meal plan you purchase.
- Your points are loaded onto your Cal 1 Card (Berkeley ID card) and you use it like a debit card whenever you purchase a meal, coffee, groceries, and more, at Cal Dining locations.
- Each point has a purchasing power of $1.
- $1 equals 1 point at Cal Dining on- and off-campus restaurants, cafes, grocery outlets, and athletic concession stands.
- (Go to the Locations tab on this website to see the full list of Cal Dining locations.)
- There is no daily minimum or maximum points you must use.
- You can manage your points online and add points at any time.
- You get automatic discounts for each meal you eat in the dining commons.
- The dining commons are open to the public and many students, staff, faculty, and visitors eat there. If you don’t have a meal plan, then you pay full price for each meal. If you have a meal plan, you get an automatic discount of $4 per meal. See detailed discount information below.
- You get an automatic 10% discount when you add points ( $50 buys 55 points), and these points can be used in all Cal Dining locations.
- You can use your points for guests in any Cal Dining location, and they also get your automatic discount.
- One-time use to-go containers cost an additional $1 (1 point).
- You can purchase a reusable to-go container through our environmentally friendly program, Chews to Reuse.
The Important Dates charts on the Meal Plan pages let you know when you can purchase meal plans, change meal plans, the last day to use points, and more.
Information for Resident and Non-Resident Meal Plans:
- You get half your total meal plan points each semester, fall and spring.
- Up to 100 unused points from the fall semester automatically roll over to the spring semester.
- You can change meal plans (within a certain timeframe).
- The Budgeting Your Points charts help you keep track of your points usage, so you don’t run out or know when to purchase more points.
Dining Commons Discount
The dining commons are open to the public and many students, faculty, staff, and visitors eat there. With a meal plan, you get an automatic discount for every meal you purchase in the dining commons. You can dine in or take your meal to-go and the discount still applies.
Compared to the non meal-plan rate, you save $4 per meal.
Dining Commons Automatic Discount
|Meal||Price if you don't have a meal plan||Meal Plan Price (in points)||Meal Plan Discount (in dollars saved)|
Additional 10% Discount
In addition to the discount in the dining commons, you also get a discount every time you add points. When you add $50, you receive 55 points (for a 10% discount). You receive this 10% discount when you add the points, so it applies to all your purchases at all Cal Dining locations.
To sign up for a meal plan, go to “Manage Your Account” on the right side of this page, and click on "Meal Plan Login".
Once you have signed up, you can make eligible changes, or add points, by going to Manage Your Account.